I’m happy to announce the release of the Marked Birds Database version 1.14.0. It contains several improvements and fixes related to the BirdRing import, and one general fixed issue.
For a full list, see the bottom of this article.
A link to the download file as well as instructions about installing, setting up and using the database can be found on the Marked Birds Database page.
Users who are using a previous version can import their data into the new version.
It is now possible to use the BirdRing app to also import Oystercatchers that are fitted with rings from the following Dutch projects:
- 2 color-coded rings (one on each tarsus) and an uncoded color ring on the tibia.
- A banded color ring and one or two uncoded color rings
- 2 color-coded rings (one on each tarsus) and an uncoded color ring on the tarsus (CHIRP).
For information about how to use the import, see the first introduction of this process.
Support for missing rings for these projects has also been added. This means that when one or more rings are indicated as missing (for example: RB-CP??) , these rings are created in the database but their status is set to “Current Marker = No”. This way they don’t appear in the visual display but additional details can be added when these become available.
Phase 1 completed
With this implementation, all main methods of adding a bird to the database now also have a BirdRing import equivalent:
This means that Phase 1 of adding support for wader-type rings is now completed.
BirdRing import fixes
The following changes have been made:
- Essential fields that are empty are now highlighted to better indicate that they still need to be filled.
- The BirdRing import layout is now correctly maximized on Windows so that the bottom bar containing the Close button is visible.
- The rules that validate if an essential field is not filled in (such as the observation date or ring position) have been improved.
- When a BirdRing form was used that is not supported, the bird cannot be added as new anymore. It is still possible to search for an existing bird and add the observation to that bird.
Release Notes – Marked Birds Database – Version 1.14.0
- MBDB-916 BirdRing import: make it possible to add Dutch Oystercatchers with 2 coded color rings.
- MBDB-917 ‘Life history received’ date is not set from ‘See all observations’ in Bird Overview.
- MBDB-918 No option to leave BirdRing import when clearing records from form.
- MBDB-919 BirdRing import: different screens are shown during import process.
- MBDB-920 BirdRing import: bird fitted with metal ring not found when ringing station is not entered in app.
- MBDB-921 BirdRing import: Add validation for empty date field.
- MBDB-922 BirdRing import: ‘Metal ring position not set’ message incorrectly shown.
- MBDB-923 BirdRing import: add support for missing Oystercatcher rings.
- MBDB-924 BirdRing import: highlight empty fields.
- MBDB-925 BirdRing import: make it possible to add Dutch Oystercatchers with CHIRP rings.
- MBDB-926 BirdRing import: make it possible to add Dutch Oystercatchers with banded rings.
- MBDB-927 BirdRing: prevent bird from being added when form is not supported.