This article is part of the Marked Birds Database manual and describes how to work with the Bird Overview screen.
The Bird Overview screen is the central place for working with a bird in the Marked Birds Database and shows all the relevant information of a particular bird.
The Marked Birds Database is set up in such a way that it is assumed that you use the Bird Overview screen as the central place to work from.
From it, you access all of the other sections of the system.
When you are finished working in another section such as adding an observation, it is expected that you return to the Bird Overview screen before you start working on another bird.
The Bird Overview screen can be accessed by choosing Bird Overview from the main menu. It is also automatically shown when clicking the Close button in screens such as Observation Details or the Add Birds screen.
When moving through the different records while in the Bird Overview screen (by using the Previous and Next buttons in the top left corner), you will each time see a different bird.
The most common action that you will perform is searching for a bird. Do this in the Bird Overview screen.
You enter Find mode by clicking Find in the toolbar at the top, or by pressing Ctrl+F or Cmd+F. You will then typically search on the Current Marker Code or perhaps in combination with any of the other search fields. You perform the find by pressing Enter or by clicking Perform Find in the toolbar at the top.
Each bird that is found is displayed in its own Bird Overview screen. Use the navigation tools to view each bird.
Tip: to see the search results as a list of birds, use Search Extra > Birds.
The Bird Overview show a list of all observations that exist for that bird.
Each first observation of a calendar year is indicated to make it easier to scan lists of observations, especially when many or all observations are done on the same location.
In the following image, the top image shows the Bird Overview without the indicators while the bottom image shows the same bird but now with year indicators (click for larger view).
Do one of the following:
- Add an observation by clicking Add Observation.
- Open an observation in the Observation Details screen by clicking the info icon in front of an observation.
- Quickly change or delete an observation without accessing the Observation Details screen by clicking the cog wheel for an observation.
- View a list of all observations for a day by clicking the View All Observations button for an observation.
- Set the reporting options by clicking S (observation is submitted) or R (life history is received). Red means that the observation has not been submitted or that the life history has not been received; green means that sending out the observation or receiving the life history is completed. The options are linked to the reporting options in the Observation Details screen.
- Indicate that an image, audio file or video file exists for that observation by clicking Image, Audio, or Video.
- Filter the list of observations by clicking the Filter icon and setting the filter options.
To view all images that exist for a bird, do one of the following:
- Click Available Images at the bottom of the screen.
- From the main menu, choose Images.
See also Working with images.
Use the Quick View option in the top right corner to quickly view the following:
- The life history of the bird
- The Marker Events for the bird
- The primary moult data for the bird
All data is displayed as a card: a layout that is placed on top of the Bird Overview screen. The Bird Overview screen cannot be accessed while the card is open.
Use this method to quickly refer to information and then to close the card to continue working in Bird Overview. Note that all options can also be accessed from the main menu, but that you will then leave the Bird Overview screen.