During my travels to different countries over the past couple of years (the USA, UK, Germany, Belgium, France, Portugal, and Morocco), I have come across many ringed gulls (2202 to be exact).
When looking closer into these observations (stored in my Marked Birds Database), 4 of these birds stand out: I have each seen them in 3 different countries.
Herring Gull Blue ZBAL
I have seen Herring Gull Blue ZBAL (ringed in Belgium) only 3 times, but each time it was in a different country:
- In October 2016 at the Blaringhem landfill in France
- In May 2017 along the coast in the Netherlands
- In August 2017 in the port of Oostende in Belgium
Herring Gull Blue 0=
I first came across Dutch Herring Gull Blue 0= in its first calendar year in Rotterdam, Noordwijk, and Leiden, the Netherlands, in December 2014.
The next observations abroad were in October 2016 at the Blaringhem landfill in France and in August 2018 at Raversijde along the coast in Belgium (photo below).
Lesser Black-backed Gull Blue NHAG
I observed this Belgian gull in 2 different years:
- In October 2012 in Westkapelle, the Netherlands, when it was a 3rd-calendar year.
- In March 2018 at the Blaringhem landfill in France (photo below)
- In September 2018 in the port of Oostende, Belgium.
Herring Gull Green YCBB
This gull is part of our research project in the colony of IJmuiden Forteiland, the Netherlands.
It is therefore extra special to be able to observe him during the breeding season while also have come across him in 2 countries abroad:
- In October 2017 at the Blaringhem landfill in France
- In September 2018 at Raversijde along the coast in Belgium (photo below).