I’m happy to announce the release of the Marked Birds Database version 2.11.0. It contains improvements and some fixes.
For a full list, see the bottom of this article.
A link to the download file as well as instructions about installing, setting up and using the database can be found on the Marked Birds Database page.
Users who are using a previous version can import their data into the new version.
- Improved: A summary in text form of the markers that a bird is fitted with and their positions is now included in the Excel export for observations.
- Improved: Creating the details of an observation to send out by e-mail is now supported for all types of Markers.
- Fixed: Various issues that were not working properly.
Text summary of Markers and positions
The database is now capable of generating a summary in text form of all the current Markers that a bird is fitted with, including their positions. This is used in the following places:
- In the Excel export of observations. When now using this to send your observations to a ringer, detailed information about the ring positions is now included.
- In the details of an observation to send out by e-mail; this feature is thereby now also supported for all types of Markers.
(Click the images for a larger view)
The following areas were also improved:
- Observations bird age check. When saving an observation while the bird age is not filled in, a message is shown. Some users don’t fill in this age until they receive the ringing details and for them the message gets in the way. To prevent this message from appearing, a new preference has been added: Manage MBDB > Preferences > Features > Observations > Check Bird Age when Saving. It is enabled by default.
- Bird ages. The age for a bird can now be set up to 100 years.
The following features that were not working properly have been fixed:
- BirdRing import: Current Marker Code colors. When importing birds via the BirdRing import, the colors for the Current Marker code are now correctly set.
- BirdRing import: ringing station set to Unknown. The ringing station is now not automatically set to Unknown anymore (and thereby replacing any entered value) when accessing the list of ringers.
- Calculating bird age. When entering a ringing date to before 1990, the bird ages are now correctly calculated.
- Adding a bird using the Standard form. When using the Standard form for adding a bird, the Current Marker Code is now also used for checking if the added bird already exists.
- MBDB-161 Auto-ageing should work for up to 100 years.
- MBDB-1279 Submit by e-mail: add support for birds fitted with uncoded rings and flags.
- MBDB-1280 Adding bird using Standard form: validation is not performed for markers other than ‘Legring – color, coded’.
- MBDB-1283 Current Age is not updated when ringing date is in 1990 or earlier.
- MBDB-1284 Create a Preference for checking if bird age is entered for an observation.
- MBDB-1285 Incorrect Current Marker Code colors for birds with a flag or marker.
- MBDB-1286 BirdRing import: ringing station is set to Unknown after editing Ringer field.
- MBDB-1287 Submit by e-mail: add support for birds with markers shown in List view.
- MBDB-1288 Submit by e-mail: improve ring info for birds fitted with metal and/or color legrings.
- MBDB-1289 Submit by e-mail: add support for Oystercatchers with coded or uncoded rings.
- MBDB-1292 Exporting observations to Excel: add description of marker positions.